Tuesday, March 04, 2008

We'll just skip the glove and go the the encephalograph

I've been waiting for someone to come out with those uber-nifty gloves from that Minority Report movie so I could just sign and glyph with my hands to input text and control the UI on my computer. It would just be better ergonomically and promote more arm exercise and let one stand away from the table. Then I'd want VR goggles, and the next thing you know I'd be all gargoyled out with a Mac Mini pouched on my belt.

Yes, I've been wanting to build gloves like that myself, but I'd need some really cheap and low power dual-axis accelerometers first. Otherwise they'd be too clunky and gauntlet like.

Then I find this:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2008/273

A headband that reads the electroencephalographic impulses firing off in your brain plugged into a USB dock you connect to your computer. The thing is going to do a running scan on your brainwaves and decipher the electromagnetic pulses of the firing synapses in your noodle and turn it into peripheral input. OCZ Technologies has begun consumer production.

How sensitive are the receptors in that headband?

Now you will need to configure the software to properly interpret your thoughts and commands, so every user will have a different experience. If you've tried to use voice recognition software with little success, I wonder how much better you'd do with this. Worse, what happens when your friends' hot sister(s) and/or mom walks by and all your naughty files pop open?

Is there a day when you can build an EEG headband you plug into a cell phone and do away with the touchscreen and keys all together? No need to talk, just think what you want to type or say and a phonetic map of your voice and inflections is sent out through the transceiver.

Or better yet, plug the EEG headband into a t-shirt with a built in 26K colour eink panel and you can blog to your chest; screw the net.

No comments: